Breast cancer can be beaten. It involves a collaboration of Family Physicians, Oncologists, Geneticists, and Radiologists, Patholigists and specialized nurses, counsellors, skilled technologists and others on the medical side. But it also requires the help of family members, friends, clergy and society as a whole.
A group of local doctors have decided to put their sticks where their stethoscopes are. Hockey simply got more votes than the Full-Monty Doctor Calendar. So, this Wednesday, February 13th, 2008, at 5 p.m. at the Hershey Centre, the Mississauga News and the St. Mike's Majors will be presenting "Docs On Ice".
My own Bandage Clad Blades coached by NHL great, Johnny Bower, have challenged Dr. Dennis Izukawa's Tyrannical Titans, coached by the legendary Dick Duff, to a duel on ice. The ice is sure to turn pink as we duel for the coveted Golden Bedpan with proceeds going to the Breast Cancer Foundation. For a mere $8.00, you can cheer on your favorite doc, raise funds for breast cancer, meet a famous Maple Leaf Stanley Cup Champion, and even stay to watch the St. Mike's Junior Game at no extra cost. And it's all thanks to Mr. Ron Lenyk of the Mississauga News, one of the most valuable, community spirited individuals in our city. Mr. Eugene Melnyk has also pledged to match every dollar raised for this noble cause. Together, we can make a difference. Donations can be made out to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation, and are tax deductible. They can be dropped off at the Mississauga News office. We hope to see you there!
● It is with great regret to inform you that Ron Lenyk passed away on September 14, 2015. See Ron "Zenko" Lenyk, Obituary.
● Docs on Ice. Official website.
● Johnny Bower. YouTube video, 0:59 min. Etobicoke Sports Hall of Fame.
● AHLHOF: Johnny Bower (2006). YouTube video, 1:05 min.
● Legends of Hockey - Johnny Bower. YouTube video, 9:33 min.
● Johnny Bower Gets His Goalie Pads Back . YouTube video, 2:26 min.
● Pioneers of Hockey - Johnny "The China Wall" Bower [Part 1]. YouTube video, 12:01 min.
● Pioneers of Hockey - Johnny "The China Wall" Bower [Part 2]. YouTube video, 10:08 min.
● Leafs TV Johnny Bower Tribute. YouTube video, 2:14 min.
● Johnny Bower Teaches His Famous Poke Check. YouTube video, 5:03 min.
● Leafs legend Johnny Bower visits Montreal. March 26, 2011. YouTube video, 5:02 min.
● Johnny Bower Thanks the CHUM WITCH for Win. YouTube video, 1:05 min.
● Johnny Bower sings Honkey the Christmas Goose . YouTube video, 2:33 min.
● The Official Website for Docs on Ice.
● Docs on Ice Support Alzheimers. Monday, January 30, 2012 News from Kujtan.ca.
● Docs on Ice scores big from Halton Region, April 8, 2011.
● Docs on Ice (2010) coming to Clearview by Michael Gennings, Staff, Stayner Sun, Jun 30, 2009. "The Stayner Arena will be used during the 28th annual Docs on Ice Charity Hockey Tournament in April 2010, an event that will raise money for new medical equipment at Collingwood General and Marine Hospital."
● Docs take to ice for local charity. Video, 0.57 min. Dr. David Dec, a Niagara Falls family physician, talks about the 27th annual Docs on Ice Hockey Tournament to be held in April 2009.
● After checked on ice, docs check out city - DOCS ON ICE April 20, 2009 from Niagara Falls Review.
● Docs lace up to help local charity. (Scroll down to read this article). April 13th, 2009 from Niagara Falls Review.
● Docs on Ice 2009 - News March 31, 2009 from Niagara Falls Review. "Docs on Ice Niagara is committed to bringing greater attention to safety in sport ..."
● Docs on Ice 2009 - Congratulations Champions. Doctors: Thibodeau, Binette, Clark, Depew, Hey, Owsianik, Kujtan, McClure, Reich and Connolly. "A special thank you to Marcel Dionne, Honorary Chair of Docs on Ice for his enthusiasm and dedication to hockey and Docs on Ice Niagara." Docs on Ice 2010 will be held in Collingwood, ON - April 8, 9, 10, 2010.
● Docs On Ice 2009. The 27th Annual Doctors of Ontario Charity Hockey Tournament will be held in Niagara Falls, April 16 to 18, 2009. This charity competition will host over 50 teams of doctor hockey players organized into nine divisions. Proceeds will benefit Heart Niagara and reduction of childhood obesity through its Healthy Heart Schools' Program. In 2009, a medical student division will be added to "give medical students the opportunity to experience physician hockey, network and support an important cause."
● Niagara is honoured to host the Docs on Ice 2009 events. "The tournament, now in its 27th year of competition, will host 50 plus teams organized into nine divisions. Tournament registration is $2,750 per team and includes: Thursday evening registration events, Round Robin hockey Friday and Saturday, a Gala Dinner Friday evening, as well as entertainment and commemorative gifts." Posted October 2008, Niagara Falls Review.
● Docs on Ice Charity Hockey Tournament (2008). "Thunder Bay is hosting 'Docs on Ice', the 26th Annual Doctors of Ontario Charity Hockey Tournament April 3-5, 2008. Come out to support the local docs of the Thunder Bay Blades as they face off against the Niagara team at 1:30 pm, Saturday, April 5th at the Fort William Gardens. Admission $2. Proceeds to support P.R.O. Kids and the Paediatric Unit at Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre. Dave 'The Hammer' Shultz will also be at the Gardens to sign autographs."
● Doctors take their game to the rink by Craig MacBride, Mississauga News, Feb. 8, 2008. Includes staff photo by Rob Beintema: "Credit Valley Hospital Doctors. They're putting down their stethoscopes and picking up hockey sticks. This team of doctors, playing for Credit Valley Hospital, will face off against a Trillium Health Centre team next week at the Hershey Centre to raise money for the fight against breast cancer."
● And the Golden Bedpan goes to ... from Mississauga News, 14 Feb. 2008. "Physicians from Mississauga's two hospitals strapped on the blades for some friendly competition and to raise funds for a good cause." Includes staff photo by Sabrina Byrnes: Dick Duff. Former National Hockey League great Dick Duff was the winning coach in last night's Hospital Physicians' Challenge hockey match at the Hershey Centre. The event coincided with Paint The Rink Pink night."
● Docs on Ice Charity Hockey Tournament Players. "These local physicians on the Thunder Bay Blades will be playing in the Charity Hockey game on Saturday, April 5th, 2008: Drs. Robin Kennie; Frank Potestio; Trevor Bon; Pete Cunniffe; Bill MacGregor; Dave Wood; Kevin Wilberforce; Kevin Covery; Troy Tebbenham; Devin Nielsen; George Derbyshire; Kevin Miller; Claude Cullinan; Dave Welbourne; Paul Dupuis and Mike Scott."
● Docs on Ice Charity Hockey Tournament Players. "The Thunder Bay Wolves - yet another team of local physicians will also be playing in the Docs on Ice Tournament (2008): Drs. Stewart Kennedy; Andrew Affleck; Paul Watson; George Doig; Chris Francis; Brent Bukovy; Alan Kirk; Blair Marchuk; Joe Behse; Walter Kutcher; Joe Waselewski; John Morgan; Yvon Gagnon; Brad Jacobson; Greg Carfagnini and Terry McDonald."
● DOCS On Ice Hockey 2008 by Scott A. Sumner, Thunder Bay Business. "Over 500 doctors in 40 teams from across Ontario will visit Thunder Bay for Docs on Ice 2008, which will be held on April 3rd - 5th, 2008 at 6 arenas across the city ... proceeds from the tournament will support two local charities - P.R.O. Kids Thunder Bay and the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre- Pediatrics Unit."
● Docs On Ice 2006: He Shoots and Shoots and Sometimes Scores! Article by Dr. Peter W. Kujtan.
● Docs On Ice 2005: Hockey Lockout Lifted. Article by Dr. Peter W. Kujtan.
● Pink ribbon from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The pink ribbon is an international symbol of breast cancer awareness.
● Dick Duff from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Terrence Richard "Dick" Duff was a Canadian professional ice hockey forward who played 18 seasons for the Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs, Buffalo Sabres, Los Angeles Kings, and New York Rangers in the National Hockey League.
● Legends of Hockey - Induction Showcase - Dick Duff. Born February 18, 1936, Terrance Richard 'Dick' Duff was a hockey prodigy on the rinks in his hometown of Kirkland Lake, Ontario. By the age of sixteen, Duff took advantage of interest in his hockey prowess to advance his education, moving to Toronto to attend St. Michael's College.
● Dick Duff. Dick Duff's hockey statistics profile at hockeydb.com. Left Wing Born Feb 18 1936 -- Kirkland Lake, ONT Height 5.10 -- Weight 163 -- Shoots L.
● Johnny Bower from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. John William "Johnny" Bower (born John Kiszkan on November 8, 1924), nicknamed "The China Wall", is a Hockey Hall of Fame goalie.
● Ribbons for a reason. Ribbons for a Reason specializes in awareness ribbons for every reason in over 56 colors. These colors support over a 100 of different causes.
● Legends of Hockey - Johnny Bower. Bower ... became famous for his fearless play. Maskless, he never shied away from an attacking player and in fact patented the most dangerous move a goalie can make - the poke-check. ... After he retired in 1970 as the oldest goalie ever to play in the NHL, Bower remained with the Leafs for many years as a scout and then goalie coach, putting the pads on and helping Leaf goalies in practice.
● List of awareness ribbons from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Many groups have adopted ribbons as symbols of support or awareness. List shows meanings of different color ribbons.
● Awareness Ribbon Colors. Cancer Ribbons. Awareness Ribbon Colors and Meanings. Complete list of awareness ribbon colors and their related illnesses and causes. Cancer ribbon colors, illness awareness ribbons, cause ribbon colors.
● Awareness Ribbons Chart - Colors and Meanings of Awareness Ribbon Causes from Disabled World.
● Ribbon Color Chart Printable PDF.
● What Does That Awareness Ribbon Mean? Symbolism for 7+ Popular Colors by cjones.